A travel blog having little or nothing to do with gorgonzola cheese.

Friday, November 18, 2005

Scooter

Amy, Thomas, Jane, Anita and I rented scooters today. Well really, Thomas and I did, and the girls road with us. It was awesome, possibly the best experience I've had in Rome. Very Roman Holiday, though it's sort of cold now, and I look very little like Gregory Peck. It was pretty incredible. It turns out you don't have to obey traffic laws (like, at all) if you're on a scooter in Rome. And this isn't a small, crappy scooter, it's 125cc, comfortably seats two people, and perhaps best of all, it's dark blue. Evidently it's socially acceptable when on a scooter to weave in between cars stopped at a traffic light, cut off cars, zoom between pedestrians, and generally have more fun than a civilized person on a motorized vehicle really should be allowed to. We drove all the city, ended up in the suburbs a few times, and generally saw parts of Rome we hadn't seen before. Scooters are definitely the way to see Rome, my only regret is that we didn't do it earlier, when it was, you know, not cold as hell.

Oh yeah. My parents and sister are here. We had dinner at this great restaurant that Jane (as well as some Air Force guys Norm had met) recommended. The restaurant follows a great format where Paula, the owner, makes you, and everyone else in the restaurant, whatever she damn well pleases, comes out and insists you eat more, and is generally a cute old Italian woman. I'm still full. It was great. And then I went and rode my scooter some more.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving!
Hope you can find Turkey in Europe.

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home