A travel blog having little or nothing to do with gorgonzola cheese.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Glass

Crys's birthday was last Wednesday, and man did we make a night of it, food-wise that is. We went to Glass, a trendy restaurant in Trastevere, with Patrick, Snaeha, Alex, Ashley, Jill, Sarah, Amy, and of course, (Uncle) Norm. I'd been there once before, and it´s one of those ultra-modern places where they give you very little food for very much money, so based on my experience last time, a lot of us opted for the Tasting Menu (or as the menu read, the Tastefull menu). Six courses. Incredible. To make Laura, and the other foodies happy, I'll actually list the courses. Skip to the end if a Parmesan Reggiano deconstruction doesn't make you smile.
First, a red pepper stuffed with excellent buffalo mozzarella and anchovies. Second, the Parmesan Reggiano deconstruction. It was a piece of Parmesan , fried and crispy, leaning against scoop of Parmesan ice cream, with a dollop of Parmesan whip cream to the side, all covered in a Parmesan cream sauce. I'm considering eating only deconstructed things from now on. Next was a pesto dish which was the only part of the meal we didn't adore. Forth was a couple large ravioli, covered in really good bacon (side note: I pretty much eat more pork products in here, in a single week, than I'd previously eaten in my entire life before getting here) and filled with a sweet and sour tomato goodness that I can barely describe. Fifth was a tiny pork tenderloin and a little biscuit of some sort which were both fantastic, and finally there was orange-apple-amaretto crepes for desert. They were pretty good, but the pear deconstruction (!) we had last time was on par with the cheese one.
It only took us three hours to eat dinner, and I think everyone who did the tasting menu enjoyed it as much as I did.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whose birthday? I just wanted to point out, you know, the Freudian slip.

Alex

2:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home