A travel blog having little or nothing to do with gorgonzola cheese.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

I've been here exactly seven days, so that obviously means it's time for a list of seven important things I've learned in Rome so far. I wish these were somehow in the order of the days, but I'm far too lazy for that.

  1. House Wine is great. Long (three hour) large (both food and people-wise) meals with liters of house wine are excellent. And much cheaper than a bar or a club. We did a lot of that in Greece and it was good, and I'm very much enjoying doing it here. Also, they charge for water in most restaurants, and wine ends up being about the same price or cheaper so...take that jesus!
  2. Thursday is Gnocchi night everywhere.
  3. Sink Laundry is not great sucks. It costs about 6 euros to do a load of laundry in our hotel/dorm, which is evidently a good deal compared to a Laundromat. My attempts at sink laundry have been...unsuccessful to say the least. Also sink laundry in London (well bathtub laundry actually) made both Cry's and my clothes a little mildewy cause we both incorrectly assumed they'd just dry in a few hours. They were still wet when we got to Rome. Yipee
  4. Everything closes from around 1pm to 4pm if it doesn't serve food. I guess everyone takes a nap, goes home to eat with their family, or gets drunk. Whatever. It's good work if you can get it I guess.
  5. Receiving cell phone calls in Europe (or maybe just Italy) is free. Totally free. It's pretty awesome. I just got a phone, gime a call. (011 for international ) (country code 39) 348.768.9781 . Yep. Won't cost me a dime. You on the other hand...
  6. Often you have to pay more to eat sitting down. Eating standing up is far cheaper.
  7. You can drink and fill your water bottles out of the fountains in most cases. They may even be served by the original aqueducts.
  8. The coffee really is better. Espresso is actually drinkable and cappuccino is awesome. Ok that was a lame one but I'm hungry and people want the computer.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

zach,

you're really perfecting blog wit. enjoy those lazy afternoons.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home